EMP|SFM Experience Music Project | Science Fiction Museum
330 Sixth Avenue N | Suite 200
Seattle, WA 98109
Position Title: Manager, Communications
Reports To: Director of Marketing and Audience Development
Department: Marketing and Audience Development
The Communications Manager at EMP|SFM is responsible for developing, managing and executing all aspects of the institution’s public relations activities, programs and communications. The position reports directly to the Director of Marketing and Audience Development.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (Other duties may be assigned):
- In coordination with the Director of Marketing and Audience Development, plan and implement organization’s public communications strategies, policies, and procedures in the areas of media relations, speechwriting, collateral materials, special programs and events.
- Represent organization to the press and public by acting as EMP|SFM’s lead media liaison and spokesperson.
- Write, edit, prepare and distribute press releases, press kits and media alerts in a timely manner, adhering to various media deadlines.
- Serve as final sign-off for editing all communications and marketing pieces
- Actively manage ongoing media outreach for EMP|SFM events, exhibits and programming.
- Develop and maintain positive, productive relationships with key media from local, national, and international press; cultivate and maintain an extensive network of press contacts.
- Field and respond to all media-related inquiries in a timely and effective manner. (Responses may include distribution of images, assignment of interview requests, coordination of special onsite media tours and onsite photo/ video shoots, and more.)
- Ensure successful coordination of onsite media and public relations visits with EMP|SFM events staff, security staff, and VSR staff.
- Increase EMP|SFM’s media exposure through strategic alliances with other reputable music organizations, non-profit arts and education organizations, popular and high-art brands, community partners, radio stations and more.
- Develop ideas and opportunities for feature articles, interviews, presentations, and other public relations activities that promote awareness of the organization and its mission, goals, programs and services.
- Maintain up-to-date database of public relations contacts.
- Develop and distribute weekly calendar and content updates to EMP|SFM website.
- Work with Online Marketing Manager and other marketing team members to leverage website for PR purposes and communications.
- Develop and distribute calendar and content updates to local media distribution lists and provide verbal follow-up to ensure placement in regional publications.
- Maintain external affairs files, archiving all relevant clippings and press materials; coordinate with PR firm as applicable.
- Provide PR/communications counsel and support to internal clients and senior leadership as needed; may include preparation of written materials and support of public speaking engagements and presentations.
- Work with Traveling Exhibitions Manager to ensure booked exhibitions receive marketing support and collateral approval.
- Develop internal communications plans and process
- Develop and execute crisis communications plan in event of an emergency
- Participate in organizational events and special programs as needed.
- Other projects as assigned.
- BA in a related field, and four to eight years PR, marketing and/or communications experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills required.
- Demonstrated success composing and submitting press releases; strong news and feature writing, grammar, editing, and proofreading skills.
- Demonstrated success cultivating and maintaining positive and productive press relationships, including media and journalist contacts, to generate maximum media coverage in print and electronic media.
- Experience managing local, regional, national and international publicity efforts.
- Proven ability to research and develop print and electronic media contacts as needed for a variety of projects.
- Ability to work effectively with media target deadlines.
- Self-starter with strong organizational skills, and the ability to work in a focused, strategic fashion and follow assigned projects through to completion, both independently and in a team.
- Computer skills including: MS Office, Photoshop, internet research, content creation, desktop publishing, database management and fluency in social media platforms such as Youtube,Facebook, Flick and other Web 2.0 technologies.
- Must be detail oriented, with strong organizational skills in order to manage a continuous workflow in a high volume, multi-tasking environment.
- Ability to successfully manage off-site publicists, contractors and vendors.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively in a collaborative team environment with a dynamic range of people.
- Proven ability to provide effective customer service for internal and external client groups.
- Ability to conduct all communications in an articulate and professional manner.
- Ability to translate intangibles into tangible and effective messages and ideas.
- Solid track record of efficiently and creatively solving problems and working under pressure.
- Previous experience in non-profit and/or arts environment.
- Passion for popular culture, and ability to tie to missions and values of the organization