Membership – Join Today!
The Music Business Network was initially created in December of 2008, as a response to numerous student requests for more music business networking opportunities. There are over 40 NYU music and entertainment programs at NYU. The original intent of creating The Music Business Network was to provide an opportunity for each of these programs to network with one another. After its creation The Network opened up its doors to entertainment industry professionals and companies, driven artists/musicians, and students of the music industry. Since its inaugural event 15 networking events (including 2 DJ showcases and 2 digital networking events) have been hosted throughout Manhattan. Currently 4,000+ individuals (from 52+ countries) are members of The Music Business Network. The Network is an elite community. All applicants are screened heavily. Noted below are The Music Business Network’s basic admission requirements.
Prospective Members MUST:
- Be an entertainment industry professional, student of the music and/or entertainment industries, or a musician;
- Have a demonstrated passion for, skill in, and knowledge of the music industry;
- Want to actively participate in the growth of their career;
- Possess strong written and verbal (English) communication skills;
- Be outgoing and personable and have strong relationship management and interpersonal skills.
If you meet our membership criteria you must request to join The Network via LinkedIn and send your virtual press kit (if you are an artist) to: TheMusicBusinessNetwork@gmail.com. Your qualifications will be reviewed and your data will be verified. Once that process has been completed, you will be notified by LinkedIn that your membership request to join The Network has been approved. Please Note: We ONLY accept membership applications via LinkedIn at this time.
Although there is currently no fee to join The Music Business Network, starting in June 2013 we will be implementing a nominal membership fee. By submitting your request to join The Network you hereby agree to and acknowledge that you have read all terms and conditions of being a member of The Music Business Network, as well as, agree to and acknowledge having read the member’s code of conduct (to access these materials please see the links at the bottom of this page).
Benefits of Being A Member of The Music Business Network:
- Ability to Attend The Music Business Network’s Physical Networking Events at a Discounted Rate- Non-Members are charged $25 to attend each networking event (the student price is $15). Members of The Network pay$10 to attend each event or $5 if they are accompanied by a prospective member.
- Ability to Participate in The Music Business Network’s Digital Networking Events- These events are closed to the public.
- Ability to Participate in The Music Business Network’s Monthly Meet Up/Networking Events- These events are free to attend and held monthly in New York City (locations, dates & times vary) and in Albany, NY (at Lark Tavern on the last Wednesday of every month from 6:00 – 9:00pm).
- Breaking Music Industry and Marketing News Updates- Members receive this information from our own postings, discussion boards (in our LinkedIn group), and through our social networking sites.
- Network Extension Services- We understand that your network in the music industry may be limited and that you may need help making new connections. We act as a broker between you and companies/individuals within The Network who provide the services that you need in order to attain your career goals. Through The Music Business Network’s intensive membership screening process we direct you strictly to reliable and reputable service providers.
- Internship & Job Opportunity Postings- As part of our exclusive (closed) LinkedIn group entertainment industry jobs are posted for members who are actively seeking employment (by our job search focus group participants and by companies within The Network).
- Free Promotion For Your Company, Blog, Band, & Events- Members can post their events to our Facebook Fan Page and we’ll blast it out through our other social networks to help promote them. We also create featured posting when our members send us demos; band, company and event information; and articles they’ve published.
- Discounted Rates on Music Business Directories- Members get access to The Music Business Network’s local directories at a discounted rate.
- Access to exclusive content- Members get access to educational information, webinars, career development worksheets & materials, new music, free downloads, apps and much much more.